Vinyl Plank Flooring has skyrocketed in popularity in the last several years.
I think this rise in popularity and acceptance can be attributed to two things.
Vinyl plank wood flooring… and I mean the real stuff…It’s a fresh new look!
Resilient flooring manufacturers have greatly improved the look and feel of vinyl flooring, converting buyers who may not have previously bought vinyl flooring in the past.
To begin, let’s look at real wood plank flooring.
After all… we need to know what we´re trying to replicate in the first place.
- Six inch width and wider – wood plank flooring is perfect to create your amazing flooring look and feel! Exactly how wide is up to you, but generally you can choose six inches or wider to create that perfect look you desire.
- Planks are long – Again, length is flexible. Some plank flooring manufacturers sell wide plank in 36” to 48” lengths.
- Distressed, Antiqued? Completely optional… but you´ll find that much of the wide plank flooring out there also has a heavily antiqued or distressed look, hand-scraped, dinged, scratched, and peppered with nail holes. My description does not do the product justice: a good distressed wide plank flooring looks fantastic.
- Costly? Not necessarily… Our suppliers have many selections of authentic wood plank flooring, and prices range from $4.00 to $12.00 per square foot.
- Hard to Install? Solid wood is difficult enough for the inexperienced DIY remodeler to install, and increasing the length and width of the boards makes the job even harder.
Are there any similarities or differences between wood plank and vinyl plank flooring?
- Width of Plank Vinyl Flooring: Chalk one up for the flooring manufacturers! You´ll find plenty of plank vinyl flooring in the 6″ range and even up to 7 3/4″.
- Length of Vinyl Plank Flooring: You will rarely find plank vinyl flooring over three feet long, due to manufacturing and shipping concerns.
- Surface Treatment: Because resilient flooring is cooked up in the test tube, as it were, and stamped out in a factory, any kind of surface treatment is possible. So, you will find both heavily distressed plank vinyl flooring and “like-new”. It´s your choice.
- Vinyl Plank Flooring Cost: In the price category, resilient vinyl plank flooring has the wood version beat… hands down! We’re looking at prices in the range of $3-4 per square foot or as much as $5-6. But rarely will the vinyl plank floor reach the level of wood plank prices.
- Installation: Very easy to install. Whether self-adhesive or glue-down, resilient plank flooring is always easier to install than traditional wood plank flooring. Practically any homeowner can install vinyl plank flooring by himself / herself, though it must be noted that glue-down planks are more difficult to install than it appears. That’s why you need professionals like us… to help create the perfect results in your home or office.